New Year, new legislation
by Jennifer Brook at 16:14 in Battery, Environmental, Packaging
Lorax EPI would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year! With the new year comes new obligations. This blog explores some of the global environmental packaging legislation that came into effect on 1 January 2022.
- Labelling: France's mandatory labelling system has been updated to obligate use of the Triman logo on all packaging. Sorting instructions must be provided to the consumer for how to dispose of packaging materials. There are also new mandatory labelling requirements in Slovenia and Bulgaria. Whilst obligations in Italy to label packaging with sorting instructions was scheduled to come into force in January, this was recently delayed until until 1 July 2022.
- Reuse: Portugal must provide consumers with reusable alternatives for thin produce bags, which will be prohibited completely by next year.
- Deposit Return Schemes: A new scheme for beverage containers began in Slovakia, and Estonia's existing deposit return scheme has been expanded to include more beverage packaging types.
- Vancouver, Canada: Single-use plastic bans have been expanded to include plastic bags, and there are new or increased fees on items such as disposable cups, paper bags and reusable bags. Existing restrictions are already in place for plastic straws, polystyrene cups and containers and single-use utensils.
- South Korea: Certain labelling requirements began, regarding a new symbol for packaging components that cannot be easily separated for recycling by the consumer. There is a 24-month grace period for businesses to use up existing stock.
These are just some of the regulations beginning on 1 January 2022 across the world. At Lorax EPI, our Monthly Alert subscription service is available, which keeps businesses up-to-date with the latest environmental legislation.
To find out whether any of these laws that came into effect this New Year's Day impact your business, contact one of our consultants at Lorax EPI today.
Click here to receive regular updates on blog posts, webinars, and regulatory changes directly to your inbox